Jenny left a comment on our blog days ago that echos my sentiments. ...If only the country could run more like The Church [with regard to welfare, and programs of sort]... While the country has now proven that we're not racist, maybe we can overcome our prejudice against religion one day too. (By the way, don't you find it just as bad to vote for a person because of their color than to not vote for them for the same reason? Same with gender? Religion? A lot of people admittedly voted for Hilary in the primaries solely because she is a woman, and a lot of people would not vote for Romney because he is LDS. Many voted for Obama because he is black. Last night they were parading their signs of "overcoming" the racial issue. Hm, looks like many Americans still have issue, racial and otherwise.)
...
For now, I write in response to an article forwarded to me from Kristen. It originates from a conservative LDS online magazine, Meridian. I thank Kristen for sending, as I found it worth my time to read. Not only was it well written, I think it even more credible since the author is a democrat.
The thing that upsets me is that most people aren't aware that it is the Clinton Administration and the democrats in congress (as well as uninformed Americans who voted them in office) are to blame for the risky lending procedures, starting in the '90's.
Of course, what upsets me more than it all is the lack of wisdom in America. I thought it extremely political and dishonest that neither the republican nor democrat parties would say that the people who got themselves into these loans are to blame. They have the sole responsibility! I am aware that there are "predatory" loan practices out there - and on the mentally handicapped is inexcusable. But that aside, people should be held responsible first. Then we can say "shame on you" to Clinton and the dems.
As was evident in this election, even the general public with good intentions are easily swayed by charm, empty promises, and the pathetic media-reporting that delivers such one-sided liberal journalism, it almost seems like a joke.
In two years we will have a chance to correct Congress, and make for better legislation. 'Til then, may God help us. May we help ourselves by learning from our own mistakes. May we help others by sharing what we learn, and through compassion come to love everyone, even those with whom we may not agree.
I, like you, am glad it's November 5th. I guess it's never "over", but we could all use a break, even a short one.
November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Great post. It's interesting being here in the South and getting a different perspective on the U.S. than I ever did before we moved here. I think I thought the racial tensions were alot less, but I find they still really exist. I've even been told that there are black proms and white proms in some parts of our state - wow! I am nervous about the reigning of the dems. It'll be interesting...
when i first heard about the economic bailout proposal, my thought was "they got themselves into this mess, let them get themselves out."
though i don't understand so much of the finance and economics it all that i'm not sure i can even say what the best solution is.
Deregulation of the market (republicans) and the giving of loans to everyone (democrats) are to blame. As stated by many political gurus including, now this surprised me, Fox News, that’s right Fox News, correspondent Bill O'Reily has said this several times. Both parties are to blame. The only way that the problem can be solved is to stop party bickering and do what is best for the entire country not just individuals or individual parties. Much the Church that is why it works so well because there is a sense of community in the church.
I am sure this will probably fall on deaf ears as to most arguments contrary to ones own opinions.
Post a Comment