If you know me, you know my piece, but I have had some thoughts lately that started a good conversation about what the Billingsleys believe the federal government should be in charge of. The list is short. It goes like this:
- Homeland security, all military branches, call it what you like. I am so thankful to those who've fought, given their lives, and those still fighting to (bottom line) keep my family safe. I am thankful to be free.
- Interstate mediation (for that which crosses state lines). For example, if all but a few states agreed to a new interstate highway, the federal government would intervene and rule with the majority.
- Criminal justice system on the national level.
- Monetary system; it just makes sense that from state to state, the same currency is used.
- International commerce. Let's face it, the Germans, Japanese, Chinese - they know how to make stuff.
- I guess they could still do postal service, although a private company, we're sure, could do better.
For these things, we are happy to pay taxes, which we believe should be a flat percent. Do you know that if it were, it would probably be less than 10% for everyone? Can you imagine paying only 10% or less of your hard-earned money to taxes? It is such a great concept - everyone uses the system in one way or another, everyone should pay the same, fair amount.
This is the basis for conservatism here in America. I guess my point is that there's nothing wrong with being proud to be conservative. There's also nothing wrong with questioning the motives, values, opinions of all candidates for political office and politicians alike, but moreover, it is important to understand there is a fundamental difference in the republican way vs. the democrat way. There's nothing wrong with being proud to be a conservative republican, and wanting so badly to see America how it should be, rather than where it's going. Of course, there are many crooked politicians, and republicans aren't exempt. President Bush isn't perfect (though NOT the reason for this recession), and I will admit I'm not a McCain fan, but in this election, of course, he is who I am voting for.
Realistically, I don't believe in my lifetime that I would see a candidate for congress or president that represented our political point of view exactly, because for example, no candidate or politician would dare risk their job to abolish social security, or the pathetic, abused, broken "welfare" system (which by the way is NOT what the constitution means when it mentions the welfare of our people. We believe taking care of those who cannot take care of themselves is best handled by churches and charities.) ...So even if I never see it happen in Washington, I guess it is nice to know what we believe in, and believe that we are right.
I do agree with Obama on one thing: we do need change - we need to get back to what the founding fathers of our nation had in mind, rather than a left-wing, liberal, socialized society dependent upon Uncle Sam for everything, and neglecting our God-given responsibility to be self-reliant, responsible, faithful citizens in the greatest nation of all.
God bless America!

1 comment:
Ron Paul supported a flat tax, I would've voted for Ron Paul! Why can't the government run more like the church?
Post a Comment