June 4, 2008

Last Day of School

Whitney finished the first grade today at West Jordan Elementary. I can hardly believe how quickly time seems to go by sometimes! Feels like she just began Kindergarten. (Though I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing each and every year until she graduates high school.)

Some first grade facts, according to Whit:

Her teacher: Miss Gardner
Favorite subject: Art
Favorite book: Junie B. First Grader
Favorite activity: Four square (this is a middle school memory for Kristen, "For Pete's sake, it's only four square!")
Favorite cafeteria food: Chicken nuggets
Favorite boy: Brandt
Favorite girls: Braelyn, Emily, Adrienne, Alissa
Favorite memory: Meeting friends
Most embarrassing moment: boys making fun (mean boys!)
Favorite holiday: "I loved Halloween, but my favorite was Valentines."

One achievement Whitney had was in spelling. With each test on Friday, they had a bonus word, and there wasn't one test throughout the entire school year that Whitney did not get "11 out of 10" on her test! We are so proud of our little speller!

I think the biggest academic improvement Whitney made was in her reading. She's been a good reader for a couple years now, but her reading level soared this year. She really enjoys reading chapter books on her own now. She also did well in math. We had fun doing math homework at our house this year.

She's a social butterfly (don't know where she gets it) and was able to make a lot of friends. I was actually surprised when at conferences her teacher didn't say "Whitney is too talkative." I guess she's not exactly like her mom!

Bring on the second grade, we're ready!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Yes! Four-square!

And I know we talked about this before, but I still freaks me out that you have a kid going into second grade because I can still vividly remember when I was in second grade. We're old.

--jeff * said...

whitney goes to 11.
nice work.