So then came the actual day we celebrate our Independence. Brian found the documentary series The Revolution playing on The History Channel, so we watched a few episodes and recorded the rest for later. Fascinating stuff.
I guess I'm turning into my parents, because just as my parents did (especially my dad) I've begun to quiz Whitney, and so we asked her what she knows about the history of America, and why specifically we celebrate the fourth of July. Of course, we had to kind of steer her in the right direction, and there was a bit of comic relief when after we defined independence she exclaimed "That's what I want!"
I don't think any of us can express perfectly in word what living in this blessed land means, but I do think it's important that we try. I think it's important we thank the service men who are in active duty and those retired; I think it's important we thank the families of those service men who have died, especially those who've gone while defending our freedoms. I think it's important we appreciate all we have here in America - not just the freedom of speech, not just the freedom of religion (note that I said "of" not "from"), not just the ability for the American Dream and all its material conveniences we enjoy, but all the freedoms we have, and all that we don't even realize we have because we live here. I know we are blessed beyond awareness, and I thank God and those who have served us all that we have this blessed nation.
So we celebrate! And this year was no exception. It didn't bother me to be so busy; it's such a neat day - one of my favorite holidays - and I like to fit in all the fun we can.
We had a lot of stuff to take with us, and we also wanted to drive cheaply, so we loaded up the Civic as best we could. It worked.
It's hard to tell, but the trunk is only about a foot deep!
While I wouldn't want to go long distances riding this way, it was fine to Orem. My legs didn't even fall asleep!
First it was down to Orem with Bri's family. We had a fun barbecue and a good visit with lots of the Billingsley clan - Dad & Joan, Steve's family, Christian & Emily & Emily's friend, and most of Joan's family. Good food. Good times.
Grandma Joan with a grandson (James) and a great-grandson
Taylor and Whitney enjoying Grandpa Marlow's homemade ice cream on a cone. Mmm messy!
Then we came up to my parents' for more food, water fun, food, and fireworks. The kids had a little pool to swim in, and thanks to JenEric, a slip n' slide! I don't know who had more fun, though, Aaron or the little ones!And my dad thought he was funny pretending to toss James onto the slip n' slide. And he was. But just a little.
Aaron and the kids - he's so funny and they're so cute!
After a while my dad had a brilliant idea to start a water fight. I wouldn't have said so at the time, but I really did think it was a good idea of his - what else is summer for? So, in the end, after avoiding most of it by taking my baby inside for protection, I got drenched. Yep, I went back outside and Eric poured a bucket of water down my back. Hey, at least it was warm water. Thanks, Eric.
Later in the evening Brad took Whitney and Taylor to the Bees game for baseball and fireworks. We hung out for awhile and then went to the elementary school to watch the West Jordan fireworks. In the past they have started around 10 p.m., so we walked over there about 9:45. About an hour later, after moving from our spot about three times to avoid being sprayed by the sprinklers, and NO fireworks, we decided to go back to my parents'. We could still hear the rodeo, and figured it'd be awhile yet, and we were all getting tired.
As it would go, as soon as we got back to my parents', we heard the fireworks. Oh well. Some of us went to the other side of the street to watch; others of us were annoyed at West Jordan City and refused to participate. So we watched Rob light some fireworks for the grandkids, and then went to pick up Whitney and Taylor from Brad's parents' house in Midvale.
It was late by the time we got home and to bed, but isn't that what it's about? Family, food, and late nights. Yep, that's what our forefathers wanted for us! God bless America.

No comments:
Post a Comment