August 28, 2007

The Chicago Trip

Well I'm finally sitting down to talk a little bit about Chi-town. It wasn't completely miserable by any stretch but it got a whole lot better once Steph came to town. We saw all sorts of sites. The picture above was taken at Millennium Park. I don't know why but there is a huge, shiny bean in the park. But it reflects the skyline in a really cool way. When you walk under it and look up it looks like you're looking up a huge donut hole and way up high in the sky you can see you looking back at you. It's pretty cool. It makes for some good posing too. Steph liked that a lot.


We also went on one of the river architectural tours. When you're in Chicago we highly recommend these tours. You really feel like you get to know the different buildings. Take this tour early in your Chicago trip so that you can get your bearings a little easier. This is when we were out on Lake Michigan looking at the city and the sailboats.

We also walked over to Grant Park to see Buckingham fountain. They play some music, a lot of Mo-Tab interestingly enough, and change the lights to go along with the music. Now when I first heard about it I pictured the fountains at the Bellagio. It was nothing like the Bellagio. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool, just not that cool.

I threw in this picture because we rode the train a lot. I wanted to give Steph the full Chicago Transit Authority view of the city. While we didn't get on any buses, we did ride the L, shown here and the suburban rail too. I also took Steph on her first cab ride ever. If I had known it was her first I may not have picked one up on Lower Wacker, but oh well, you've gotta experience a white knuckle cab ride sooner or later.

All in all it was a great little trip for us. Sure there was some morning sickness and some bad smells coming out of the alley ways. But I had a great time showing my wife that cool little city. Don't know when we'll get to go back, but I'm sure we will. I've gotta take her to the Billy Goat Tavern.


I got back from Chicago in time to attend the sealing of my niece Emily to Christian Rytting - a great guy by all respects. Also last week my brother Dayne lost his fight with cancer. We were shocked at how soon he passed but are relieved to know he's in a better place.


3 comments:

Melinda said...

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Also, our sympathies.

Kristen said...

Sorry about your brother, Brian.

And I love "Summer of George".

Mandy said...

Brian - Sorry to hear about your brother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Looks and sounds like a fun trip to Chicago. Have fun in Park City and enjoy your anniversary! Happy 1 year!!